Created in 1706, the Presbytery of Philadelphia was the first one in the country. It eventually evolved into the Synod of Philadelphia in 1717.
Jedediah Andrews came to Philadelphia in 1698 “to make Presbyterians.”
In 1781, the Synod of New York and Philadelphia approved the creation of the first presbytery west of the Allegheny Mountains. That area, which had previously been under the jurisdiction of the Presbytery of Donegal, was called the Presbytery of Redstone and it stretched as far west as “the setting sun.” This area would eventually…
The Presbytery of Redstone was organized on Sept. 19, 1781 by the Synod of New York and Philadelphia. While the current territory of the presbytery consists of four counties in the southwestern corner of Pennsylvania, the original landscape stretched from the Allegheny Mountains to the east, as far north as Lake Erie, to the south…
Congregations are encouraged to participate in international partnerships in the Sudan/South Sudan, Egypt and the Dominican Republic. The Presbytery of Shenango is known for its relational culture, international commitments and missional focus.
The civil war touched the presbytery when confederate General John Morgan led his raiders across Ohio (the northernmost advance of the Confederacy) and directly across the presbytery. He surrendered almost on the steps of the Weaver Beaver United Presbyterian church, which was until it closed recently the northern most church in the Presbytery.
History: Upper Ohio Valley Presbytery – First Church of Martins Ferry celebrates past, anticipates future
The church continues to lead the community in the formation and operation of the Daily Bread Center, a collaboration of 11 churches to provide a community food pantry.
Washington Presbytery was a very local-mission-oriented presbytery with the Board of National Missions, especially in the 1950s and 1960s.
The Civil War probably had more effect on West Virginia than most of the nation. It basically split the church.
“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.” –John 1:1