In1959, four presbyteries from two merged denominations met for the purpose of merger to be known as the Beaver-Butler Presbytery of the United Presbyterian Church in the U.S.A. And the rest is history.
at various times in the presbytery’s history, the Presbytery of Donegal completely ceased to exist as an entity. For a period of 63 years (from 1870-1932) the part of the present presbytery (covering Lancaster County), in addition to Lebanon County, was known as the Presbytery of Westminster.
The heart of this presbytery has remained rural and small town. It remains generous and outward looking, maintaining overseas partnerships.
Three presbyteries (Susquehanna, Montrose and Luzerne) were merged to form the Presbytery of Lackawanna.
The earliest Presbyterian churches in Lake Erie were founded about 1800, but unfortunately none have proof of an exact date: Meadville claims 1800, Middlebrook 1799.
Eight different presbyteries were involved in sending missionaries, pastors and Sunday school teachers into the region now served by Lehigh Presbytery.
The first church established by the new Presbytery of Northumberland was Milton, established in November of 1811.
Created in 1706, the Presbytery of Philadelphia was the first one in the country. It eventually evolved into the Synod of Philadelphia in 1717.
Jedediah Andrews came to Philadelphia in 1698 “to make Presbyterians.”
In 1781, the Synod of New York and Philadelphia approved the creation of the first presbytery west of the Allegheny Mountains. That area, which had previously been under the jurisdiction of the Presbytery of Donegal, was called the Presbytery of Redstone and it stretched as far west as “the setting sun.” This area would eventually…