Three presbyteries (Susquehanna, Montrose and Luzerne) were merged to form the Presbytery of Lackawanna.
The earliest Presbyterian churches in Lake Erie were founded about 1800, but unfortunately none have proof of an exact date: Meadville claims 1800, Middlebrook 1799.
Eight different presbyteries were involved in sending missionaries, pastors and Sunday school teachers into the region now served by Lehigh Presbytery.
The first church established by the new Presbytery of Northumberland was Milton, established in November of 1811.
Created in 1706, the Presbytery of Philadelphia was the first one in the country. It eventually evolved into the Synod of Philadelphia in 1717.
Jedediah Andrews came to Philadelphia in 1698 “to make Presbyterians.”
In 1781, the Synod of New York and Philadelphia approved the creation of the first presbytery west of the Allegheny Mountains. That area, which had previously been under the jurisdiction of the Presbytery of Donegal, was called the Presbytery of Redstone and it stretched as far west as “the setting sun.” This area would eventually…
The Presbytery of Redstone was organized on Sept. 19, 1781 by the Synod of New York and Philadelphia. While the current territory of the presbytery consists of four counties in the southwestern corner of Pennsylvania, the original landscape stretched from the Allegheny Mountains to the east, as far north as Lake Erie, to the south…
Congregations are encouraged to participate in international partnerships in the Sudan/South Sudan, Egypt and the Dominican Republic. The Presbytery of Shenango is known for its relational culture, international commitments and missional focus.
The civil war touched the presbytery when confederate General John Morgan led his raiders across Ohio (the northernmost advance of the Confederacy) and directly across the presbytery. He surrendered almost on the steps of the Weaver Beaver United Presbyterian church, which was until it closed recently the northern most church in the Presbytery.